Based in: Derby, UK (travel requirements described below)
Reports to: Operations Manager, UK
We are looking for individuals that have a passion for technology, a love of challenging work and a willingness to travel throughout the UK, Europe and on occasion globally. To be successful in the role you will need to be resourceful, a strong problem solver and have the ability to think on your feet.
As an Application Engineer and a key member of the Global Installations Team you will be charged with deploying Sciemetric test systems at system integrators and end user customer sites. You will also provide advanced technical support to our customers for complex products, including highly escalated issues.
In this role, you will leverage our proprietary electronic signature analysis software and In-Process Testing (IPT) technology to understand manufacturing process behaviour and help customers find defects in their processes. You will create custom applications using Sciemetric software to acquire, process, and analyse data from analogue and digital instruments, and then apply it to the manufacturing process. You will have the opportunity to own a project from the start of application development through to commissioning and final sign-off. While you will be based in the Derby area you will be required to travel throughout the UK and Europe, which will make up a significant portion of the working week.
- Program and configure application software to collect and process data from instruments such as load cells, pressure transducers, linear and rotary encoders, measurement lasers, and accelerometers
- Apply the appropriate filtering, smoothing, data processing, and statistical analysis techniques to identify key features in a customer’s manufacturing process to find defects and/or anomalies in their parts
- Interface Sciemetric hardware (PC based) to communicate and extract data from third party devices, PLCs, measurement systems, and bolt tightening equipment using various protocols such as field bus (Profinet, Ethernet I/P, Modbus), file transfer (FTP), serial, and other data transfer schemes
- Setup and configure Sciemetric data management host server (QualityWorX) to store test results from plant floor data acquisition systems
- Provide assistance to the sales team by conducting product demonstrations and proof of principle studies
- Effectively communicate customer requirements to the sales team, and explain product capabilities to our business partners and customers
- Engineering degree (e.g. Electrical, Mechanical, Mechatronics) or equivalent combined with minimum 3 - 5 years’ relevant work experience
- Familiarity with typical manufacturing test processes (i.e. leak testing, gauging, engine testing, press force monitoring)
- Experience with the manufacture or testing of powertrain systems or medical devices
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Experience with data acquisition systems such as Labview, HBM, or others
- Knowledge and experience of leak testing principles and practical application
- Strong programming skills, preferably Lua, C, Visual Basic, or equivalent
- Experience with troubleshooting and calibration of instruments and sensors, such as load cells, accelerometers, linear and rotary encoders, torque transducers, flow meters, pressure transducers and LVDT’s
- A working knowledge of Microsoft SQL databases including database file allocation, queries and procedures.
- Willingness to deliver training, including course material development
- Strong report writing ability and effective email communication, both customer facing and internal
- A talent for building long term relationships with customers and colleagues
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively in the UK, Europe and globally
- German language highly desirable
About Sciemetric Instruments
Sciemetric Instruments has been working in measurement and data management for over 30 years. We pioneered signature analysis for in-process defect detection in manufacturing in the early 1990s, starting with the automotive industry’s first engine cold test application for the V8/V10 engine line for a top North American auto maker. Our goal is to give our customers visibility into its processes that is required to optimize yield, boost quality and drive down costs.
We are specialists in manufacturing: our technology, experience and products span processes across the assembly line. Our customers include many of the world’s top manufacturers in a range of industries and many of these relationships are long-standing. We are proud of the deep relationships that we have been able to forge with globally renown companies.