Sound and vibration testing on the production line
Sound and vibration testing, also known as noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH) testing, occurs during production to detect noise and vibration issues that could affect product quality and/or the customer experience.
One of the leading issues affecting customer satisfaction for motorized assemblies is unwanted noise or vibration. The combination of noise, vibration, and harshness can be a primary decision-making factor in motor vehicle purchases and impact customer satisfaction and brand loyalty. Noise and vibration can also determine customer satisfaction with small and large home appliances, which is why many leading brands use "quiet operation" as a significant selling point.
NVH Testing and Analysis Solutions for Motorized Assembly Manufacturing
Some manufacturers rely on subjective testing of their products, having workers listen to or feel for anomalies. Others struggle to move it from the lab into the manufacturing environment.
Sciemetric’s approach to sound and vibration analysis brings NVH tests onto the production line and enables the application of a more reliable, data-driven measurement to catch those hard to find clicks, whirrs or buzzes. Our data analysis software suite automates NVH testing, reducing the reliance on personnel.
We provide the solutions you need for reliable production line sound and vibration testing. With a full in-process test strategy applying Sciemetric technology at quality-critical stations on the line, our NVH analysis helps identify the upstream issues and defects that cause the undesirable sound and vibration as they happen.
Sciemetric cuts the cost, boosts the traceability of NVH testing
Sciemetric’s sigPOD in-station process monitoring and data collection platform relies on digital process signature analysis to reliably evaluate the quality of an assembly. By using an ICP-based accelerometer rather than a microphone, the sigPOD will provides accurate analysis even under noisy conditions. From verifying rotating machinery and motorized assemblies for unwanted noise and vibration to resonance testing, our approach to NVH testing can identify root causes such as:
- Loose, rubbing, or missing components
- Valve noise
- Surface defects
- Gear noise and defects
sigPOD reduces the costs of NVH testing, while also making it data-driven, repeatable, and traceable.
Advanced insight into NVH testing with digital process signature technology
The key to the sigPOD’s advanced measurement is the application of digital process signature technology. A range of signatures are used to derive a pass/fail decision in production line sound and vibration testing:
- Vibration (using an accelerometer)
- Sound (with a microphone)
- Electric current
- Time domain, FFT
- Synchronous math, statistics
- All signature data is stored by serial number
Sound and vibration in manufacturing: Application stories
Noise and vibration testing are used across various industries to identify product defects and maintain consistent product quality. Examples of common testing applications include:
- Automotive/Off-Highway: Motors, engines, transmissions, axles, HVAC assemblies, windows, sunroofs, seat tracks, gear quality, brake pads
- Small Appliances: Kitchen stand mixers, food processors, garbage disposals
- Large Appliances: Washers, dryers, dishwashers, air conditioners
Finding noise and vibration defects on a noisy factory floor
Noisy actuators were causing issues for a manufacturer of automotive seat tracks. The preference was to have the test done in-line, but the background noise of the factory made the use of a microphone a challenge. It seemed the only option was a quiet room or anechoic chamber. Read the application story to see how the sigPOD was deployed in production to find the noise-related defects.
Read more sound and vibration application notes
Learn more about how data-driven NVH testing with sigPOD has been used to:
- Ensure a smooth and quiet ride from motorized wheelchairs
- Test vehicle transmissions to improve the quality and reduce complaints
Take the utility of your NVH test manufacturing data one step further with QualityWorX
Aggregate the data from sound and vibration tests with other part data from across the production line using QualityWorX. A suite of data management and manufacturing analytics software, QualityWorX eliminates data silos in the plant and provides full part traceability.
The analytics enable faster issue resolution and the visibility today’s manufacturers require to:
- Identify the root cause of defects or issues affecting throughput
- Fix tests and processes for defect avoidance
- Very quickly pinpoint affected parts to avoid a mass recall or stop ship
- Continuously optimize stations by using the data to set limits, cycle times, etc.
- Demonstrate conformance for each part
- QualityWorX connects all of the part data to provide a practical way to respond to the requirements of Manufacturing 4.0.